Packing a Spinning Wheel
1. For a double treadle spinning wheel, detach the footmen from the treadle by slipping out the cotter pins (leave the footmen hanging on cranks).
For a single treadle spinning wheel, disconnect the treadle. Detach the footman by slipping out the cotter pin.
2. Remove the treadles.
For wheels with a metal treadle bar, insert a flat screwdriver between the metal leg and the treadle, then twist the screwdriver to pop the metal legs from the plastic hinges. Pack the treadles separately.
For wheels with a wood treadle bar, remove the bolt and washer from the center of the treadle support bar. Remove the bar and treadles, and pack separately. Take the bolt and washer, insert them into the short rod (previously hidden behind the treadle support bar), and secure the short rod to the front leg.
3. Remove the flyer and tighten the front maiden in place. Remove the carrying strap.
4. Protect the tension knob with the cardboard collar, if you still have it. If not, remove the tension knob and pack it separately.
5. For wheels with the scotch tension rod on the side of the mother-of-all, protect the scotch tension rod from bending by slipping a piece of cardboard between it and the mother-of-all to brace it.
6. Place the spinning wheel in the box and center side to side.
7. Push the cardboard insert A with the split over the t-knob. Slide insert B down, being careful of the scotch tension rod. The rear grooves of the inserts should hold the drive wheel. Note: the insert fits very snuggly so coax it gently with modest pressure to move it into place.
8. Pack all bobbins, flyers, and whorls in a separate box and slide down into the space in the insert.
9. Remember to insure your package when shipping.